My Relationship With Self Confidence


Before I sat down to write this post, I was thinking of what photos I could take that would suit the writing.

After a while of thinking, I realised that I hadn't included myself in any of the photos. This was mostly because, as you can see, i'm wearing an old hoodie, hardly any makeup and I was feeling very tired. However, this post is about self confidence, and I am not going to be a hypocrite.

Which is why you can see my makeup-less face in all it's glory above, and I don't care. My attitude towards my self has changed so much over the last month, I felt that it was appropriate to share how I feel with you all, and hope I can inspire at least one person to start loving themselves a little more.

Confidence Is A Funny Thing

My relationship with self confidence has always been a love-hate one. I've struggled with my self-esteem and confidence for as long as I can remember. I'm sure a lot of people can relate too, which is quite sad when you think about it.

Whether it was picking an outfit for an event only to not bother going because I think I look horrible and people will judge me, or constantly worrying that something I say will seem stupid or silly; trust me, i've worried about it.

However, something changed this year, and I can honestly say my confidence has completely changed too.  I can't tell you exactly what caused it, but something clicked with me and I now have a different outlook on things.

As I mentioned before, I didn't particularly want to show you my bare face on the internet, but I did and i'm not mad about it either. A year ago I wouldn't have posted this, and that shows me how much things have changed.

I have started to try to love myself more, to treat myself as I would my best friend and to not let any fears stop me from doing what I want and living how I want to live. This could be from something as little as wearing a different outfit, to going out and trying something i've been scared to do.



"Doubt Kills More Dreams Than Failure Ever Will." - Suzy Kassem

I saw this quote the other day, and it really struck a chord with me. Self doubt and self confidence normally go hand in hand, and this quote couldn't be more true. 

I used to let my self doubt take over and not take chances, which then would result in me never achieving what I wanted to. 

I now actively try and shut out the self doubt and keep on reaching my goals. There are days where that voice is a bit stronger, i'm only human, but most days I can choose to ignore it, and you can too.

I have learnt that to be confident, you have to trust yourself and your instinct. You truly know what's best for yourself and... what's the worst that could happen?

Change Is On It's Way

I'm not going to go into my fitness too much, as I have a new post all about staying fit coming on my channel very soon. However, I have made a few changes to my diet and fitness routine.

This has really helped with my confidence, and exercise helps me feel a lot more positive. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how exercise can really help with your mental health, it's been said enough now.

But, I am finally looking after myself and my body, and that's something I've personally wanted to work on for a long long time. Now that I have, I can really see the difference in my self confidence.

I'm not talking about weight or clothes sizes here; these things are different and personal to everyone. However, my own goal has been to take part in self care, and eating the way I see is best for me, staying fit the way I want to, (at home, not at a gym) - helps me take care of myself and feel much better for it.



It's Not An Easy Journey

I can't say that I am always confident everyday and never worry - I don't know many people that can say that. Being completely confident with yourself takes time and I am on this journey too. Everyone is different and everyone has different ways to achieve and feel confident, it's personal to each of us.

One things for sure though; love and look after yourself. I always imagine I am my best friend asking for advice, and I try to talk and treat myself the way I would treat them.

You are your own best friend, and you deserve to feel loved, confident and unafraid.

Let me know what you do to gain confidence and show yourself love in the comments. I'd love to read them.

Till next time angels. 




Comments

  1. loved reading this...and you are beautiful with or without make up ....inside and out x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly resonated with this. I struggle with self-doubt and self-love for so many years. Only last year when I truly began to have confidence in myself and believe in myself. I started to love myself more. The main thing I did is to change my mind-set, and surround myself with positive people. You look beautiful btw <3 Thanks for the self-reminder on confidence :)

    x chelle
    http://littletinyhope.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear you are loving yourself more!! You are so worthy. Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comment.
      Jessica xx

      Delete
  3. This is so amazing to hear. I’ve been writing similar posts, trying to express my thoughts on natural beauty and self care. It’s hard, but I know you can achieve your goals ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's great to hear! Self care is so important! Thanks so much for reading!
      Jessica xxx

      Delete
  4. needed to read this right now. thanks! hope you are still staying
    positive :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some really big changes diet and fitness-wise as well this year and it's made a huge difference to my confidence.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw i'm really glad to hear you are feeling more confident! I've started going to the gym now too, and it's really helping :)

      Delete
  6. First I don't get why you were afraid to show your face because your pretty. And secondly fantastic post. Keep it up X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so so much! Thank you for reading and for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  7. Hmm... good question. To start, I do something creative or get writing, because it is through writing especially I feel most confident in myself. I will also put on my favourite powerful musical anthems like Kelly Clarkson's Stronger or Pinks Perfect, even Dark side works pretty well. Another tip is either freshening up or putting on an outfit that feels especially good to me. Also I have a favourite quote that reads "to be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.~ Thich Nhat Hanh. which can be true for confidence too. Great post and thank-you for sharing your self confidence journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you have these things that help you to feel confident! :) That's really good advice. I love that quote! You definitely need to accept yourself and not worry so much about others - 100%. Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  8. Loved this post! Mol X

    https://mollycatherinee.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had something happen to me a year or two ago. Where, after years of having little confidence, I suddenly just looked and myself and wondered why I was thinking that! I think a lot of it, hate to get deep, is to do with other's expectations and how I've perceived those. But, I think as I've grown older I've realised I should care less about those and just do what makes me feel happy! I really loved this post because it was so relatable to how I was feeling and, while my confidence fluctuates quite drastically, when I've got it it's the best thing ever and I'm glad you've got it too! I hope you share more about your confidence journey in the future :-)!
    Sarah x
    http://saraheliza.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment