5 Things I've Learnt In The Past 5 Years




Going back 5 years ago, I was 17 going on 18. I would have been in my last year at college, and after that, would be starting at my first proper job. In my late teens, I was always shy and I didn't have much confidence, it was also a time where I had a bit of a rough patch, but looking back on it, I can see how it's made me who I am today.

Most of my readers seem to be around the same age as me, so i'm sure some of you will relate to this too, but I wanted to talk about a few things I've learnt over the past 5 years, as I can truly say I have changed A LOT since then. Although it was quite a dark time in my life, it also helped me overcome so much and get me to where I am today, and it is a time in my life that I still think about and reflect on. Let me know anything you've learnt over the last 5 years in the comments, as I am always interested in what you all have gone through and any advice you may have!

I am worthy of love.

So, i'll be completely honest with you, I met Joe when I was 21 and before then I had never had a relationship. This was something I used to dwell on all the time, I remember countless times where I would say that I'll probably never find anyone and end up alone with 20 cats, partly joking on the cat part (although I already have 1, so who knows...). Anyway, I genuinely felt as if no one would love me, and that if I ever met anyone they would judge me because I had never been in a relationship. I can honestly say this was not worth the worry, and if you are feeling like this, please know it's ok to be alone and your time will come. Joe obviously never cared about the fact that I had always been single (most people won't care, and if they do, then they aren't right for you!), and you shouldn't care either. If I could go back to my 18 year old self and tell her to stop worrying about boys and start focusing on the important things, trust me, I would.

Always, always, always do what you love.

This is something I live by now and always encourage others to do. You may have seen me touch on this in my last post where I speak about finding happiness in new beginnings. When I was younger I had no idea what I wanted to do, I studied things at college that didn't really have much relevance and I always doubted myself. If you had told me that I would be a blogger/writer when I got older, I would have laughed in your face. As I grew up, I realised that life is too short to not do what you love. If you can't enjoy things, what's the point of doing them? I started to learn that if you enjoy it and you love it, nothing else matters, it's your life and you have every right to do what you want...which leads us to my next life lesson...

People are not judging you as much as you think.

I constantly worried about what others thought of me, would people laugh at me if I did this, would people think I was stupid if i said that? If you are in your twenties now like me, you start to learn that everyone is so wrapped up in their own world that they couldn't really care less about what you are doing. People have their own crap going on in their life, and if someone does judge you for something, you have the power to walk away from them. Being able to get over this fear of what others think, and doing what you love, will honestly change your life, I just wish I did this sooner!

It's OK to walk away from negative people in your life.

This was hard, and took me a while to realise. Towards the end of college, I lost a lot of friends, but it was my own choice. If you are surrounding yourself with toxic or negative people, it will have an effect on you, even if you can't see it yet. Walking away from these types of people and having a positive supportive group of friends can be life changing. Once again, 17 year old me was too scared, but as you grow you understand the damage toxic people can create and you do something about it.

You'll never be ready to be an adult.

I think everyone in their twenties says this, but it's true. I don't even know if I am an 'adult'. I think things just start to happen where you think to yourself 'Yep, I just did an adult thing'. When I was younger I hated the thought of growing up, paying bills (still hate this one!), making doctors appointments, or, you know, working; but it happens and you get over it. Life throws obstacles in your way, you won't see it coming and you won't be ready but I promise you'll get through it. Teenage me just needed to chill out a bit and focus on the present, but hey, I'm making up for that now so it's OK.

Thanks for reading and have a fab weekend. Oh, by the way, I have a newsletter now! Yep, you can get my ramblings sent straight to your email! Jokes aside, it will include my blog updates and latest post, my favourite posts of the week from other bloggers and more exciting stuff! If you want to sign up, please click here, I would love to have you as a subscriber! :) 

Jessica

Just for you guys, here is 19 year old me with bright red hair, kinda contemplating going back to it, we'll see.


Comments

  1. Fab post, can totally relate as well. Great advice :)

    alittlebitofbedlam.co.uk xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jess! I'm glad you liked it :)

      Jessica x

      Delete
  2. I literally loved all of these points! Especially do what you love and walk away from negative people! So important and true. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rebecca! I'm glad you liked it :) x

      Delete
  3. I can literally relate to this post SO MUCH! I went through all of these things too except the relationship thing. I love this post though and I wish I could’ve told my younger self about them too!

    Ellie x

    http://elliesbitsofbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, me too! It's so hard when you're younger as I feel like we care way too much. I'm glad you enjoyed this post and thanks so much for reading :) x

      Delete
  4. I loved reading this post so much! It's such a lovely post. A 18 is such a changing period of time and as you navigate more through adult hood you do go through so much and learn through so much. I'm glad you're happier now within yourself xx

    Lauren / itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lauren! Yeah I totally understand where you are coming from, it's such a difficult and changing time! Thank you lovely x

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really admire you Jessica, you’re such a strong person and it’s lovely to see how things have changed over five years. Great idea for a post!
    Loving your red hair btw!

    Samantha x
    http://thebeautyspyglass.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw wow thank you so much Samantha! That's so lovely of you to say, i am so glad certain things have changed :) Aw thanks!!! x

      Delete
  8. What a LOVELY post! Some really amazing life advice here and I'm definitely going to listen to it!! Clare xxx | Clayaa.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Clare! I am glad you can relate, and thank you for reading :) x

      Delete
  9. Such a beautiful post. I love the do what you love point - I think it's so important.

    http://ohduckydarling.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rosa! Yes, I think that is especially important :) Thank you for reading! x

      Delete
  10. Loved reading this and the first one really hit me hard, I'm single and I always use that joke about the cats as well...except I think in my head, I'm partly serious about it and it kinda worries me.

    Julia // The Sunday Mode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia! I have always been exactly the same as you, I hope you aren't too worried because it's not worth it, however hard it may be. It always happens when you least expect it.

      Thank you for reading x

      Delete
  11. Great list, really positive! I would add that it's okay to say No to doing things you really don't want to do, I find it so freeing and just saying No can remove a lot of unnecessary stress/anxiety/frustration from life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment