A Letter To My Younger Self




This post will be quite personal, but I want it to be. You may (or may not) have noticed that I haven't posted on here for over a month...

I will never lie on my blog, or beat around the bush - I have struggled with my mental health recently. And that's OK.

I'm back now and as cliche as it is, i'm better than ever! I don't mind talking about this on my blog, as I feel so many can relate, and mental health is not something to be silent about. (Anyway, i've missed you all and this blog, so here's to more posts to come!)

I feel like now is an appropriate time to write this post, as i'm always interested in reading these myself and I feel like I have a lot to say to my younger self...

Here goes...

To 10 year old Jessica,

Four words: those girls don't matter.

Being a child is hard enough; learning new things and having new experiences. So being bullied through those years can be very tough.

Those girls who laughed at you, called you names and hurt you, don't matter, and you will never see them again when you leave primary school.

Understand that you are worth so much more than what they think of you. Your hair, your weight, your style, your appearance - has nothing to do with them.

You are loved by many, and those who want to cause you pain, don't matter. Try to focus on the good things. And just so you know, you ended up moving far away from all of them anyway!

To 14 year old Jessica,

I know it hurts right now, but time heals everything. Losing a loved one is never easy, and you'll have many more painful days to come.

Just know that you have your family and friends who are there for you through your hard times. Speak to them and don't keep things bottled up.

Cherish the memories you have with your loved ones and remember that they will always be with you, even if they are no longer here.

As you always said: 'you'll see them in the stars'.




To 17 year old Jessica,

Safe to say, you are feeling pretty shit right now, and I get it.

Chances are you haven't left your bed in forever and you don't want to see anyone. You've been told you have depression and anxiety and you don't know how to feel.

There isn't a lot anyone can say. But, you'll get through it and you definitely aren't alone. Speak to your family and friends - don't push them away, no matter how much you want to.

Things will get easier, but you'll still have bad days and you need to learn to accept that. You'll lose friends and you'll make new ones.

College isn't the be all and end all, and even though your attendance isn't great right now, you'll be OK.

Learn to love yourself and take care of yourself, don't sink into that hole - there are better days to come.

To 21 year old Jessica,

You'll be happy to know that those years of fearing that you'll never be loved are over. WOO!

This year would have been the year you went out a lot, drunk too much, made some mistakes and cried quite a bit. But this is also the year that a lot changes, and you have to accept that.

You'll soon meet that guy that you've been set up with by your mutual friends, and guess what - he's a keeper!

Stick with that one and things will soon get much better. (HINT - 23 year old me is still with this very lovely man).

Know that your self worth is much more important than boys, and those times you felt alone make you a lot stronger now.

You are loved and you are worthy of love.

Love from,

23 year old Jessica



Comments

  1. Great words of wisdom from an inspiring young lady ...you are proof of how much you can achieve and overcome....love you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, sometimes it's nice to write things down when you've just come out of a rough patch.

    Love Amber | www.ambambe.com x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving post! I can imagine this was quite a cathartic one to write.

    You're right; you're not alone. :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post Jessica! You're right I can totally relate to a lot of this! Very open and honest. If you haven't seen it already I have written a similar post http://imogenrose.co.uk/lifestyle/open-letter/ if you would like to take a look at it. I feel like these kinds of posts are really lovely to look back on later on to see how far we've come as individuals. Happy Galentines lovely <3 x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment