5 Things I've Learnt Since Moving Out

(Gibbon and Sloth - don't even know how to explain this one haha)

Buying the weekly food shop, doing the washing, choosing your own dinners and paying those bills... yep, you've moved out.

Moving out can seem scary, especially if you are doing it alone. I moved out of my parents house last year and moved in with my boyfriend Joe. I'm very lucky, as me and Joe obviously split a lot down the middle (chores, food, decorating etc) so it hasn't been too overwhelming!

Whether you are moving in with someone or not, I feel like a lot of us go through the same experiences. I thought I would share with you some things i've learnt since moving out.

It's nearly been a year since I left my parents and it's safe to say, i've had a few life lessons!

Budgeting Is A Great Idea (As Daunting As It Seems)

OK, so Joe may have been the one that really taught me this lesson, but if I hadn't have moved out, I don't think it would have actually happened.

When you move out, you obviously have a lot of bills to pay for, as well as having money to spend on yourself when you need too. I used to be quite bad with money and would always be going shopping every weekend.

It's safe to say, I've cut this down (although I could try a little harder) and started saving. Budgeting can really help you decide on how much you NEED to spend, and what you can use for things you WANT.

Budgeting has helped me a lot and I would really recommend going through your spendings and creating a realistic budget for yourself! (You'll thank me later!)

The Cleaning Doesn't Happen Itself

Firstly, I need to apologise to my parents.... I may have took some things for granted, especially the cleaning. I didn't do much around the house when I lived at home and I can really see that now.

I'm guilty of having the 'clothes pile' that gets bigger, while I delay putting them away each day (much to Joe's annoyance). I've got great at the washing up and I can finally make a bed that doesn't look like my cat tried to do it.

This all sounds basic and it really is, I just took for granted the help I used to have back at home. Luckily Joe does A LOT around the house and i'm a bit spoilt, but if you think that the washing up you left last night will all be gone when you wake up in the morning, you're very mistaken!



Getting Out Of The House Is A Necessity

I used to think that the perfect day was staying in all day, watching TV, and sleeping... but things have changed since then. Of course, I love a chilled weekend, who doesn't? But, getting cabin fever can happen and it's not much fun.

I try to get out, even if it's just for a little walk and I try not to stay glued to the TV most evenings. Joe also works from home somedays too, so we make a point of leaving the house every now and again!

How To Be Independent

I don't mean just the cleaning here, but in all aspects of life. Whether it's picking your dinners, choosing what to do with your evenings, or just how you want to decorate your house; it's a great feeling to be independent.

You learn a lot about yourself when you move out, and you might find that you start becoming much less dependent on others too. Of course, I have Joe, but I don't think I am dependent on him and we are both learning to become independent in our own ways.

Lastly, Moving Out Is A Massive Change, But An Amazing One

It can seem very scary, and I wondered how I would cope with moving out. I still see my parents at least once a week and they live very close so that's great too! As I said, I have learnt so much and become much more responsible too.

Living in your own house is an amazing feeling and even though it's a big change it's also a really exciting one. There are some moments I have to ring my mum in a panic (like when I try and cook something with no idea of the timings), but I have really grown since moving out.

Anyway, i'm sure I have so much more to learn and even more changes, but to be honest, I can't wait!!


Thanks for reading, let me know what you've learnt since moving out (if you've done so!).



Comments