My Relationship With Self-Love


My teenage years were awful — there’s no doubt about that. Not through anyone’s fault.

I just didn’t love myself.

My doubts loved to make themselves known and they made sure I listened. I stayed in bed most days and refused to go to college — I was depressed.

I used to be ashamed, but now I ask myself, why was I ashamed?

Because having depression has actually taught me a lot about myself and others.

Self-love and I have never been best friends.

For some reason (and like so many others), I find it hard to love myself. I always critique myself or my work. I listen to the harsh voice in my head a little too much. I point out my negatives and ignore my wins.

But — I’m working on it.

Because life is so much more than the ‘bad things.’ I am so much more than my ‘bad things’.

Life won’t stop for you to get your crap together and love yourself. Life is short. Life can be relentless. Life can throw shit at you and expect you to carry on as normal. Life won’t stop for you to get yourself together.

That’s the hardest thing I’ve learnt. That I spent so much time disliking myself and then I realised years had gone by.

Years that I could have spent finding my life’s purpose.
Years that I could have spent finding the good in things.
Years that I could have spent working towards my goals.
Years that I could have spent loving myself.

Am I going to be sad about this fact? No.

Because the time I have got now will be spent doing all of those things. Sure, I have and will still have bad days. Bad days where I stay in bed. Or cry a lot. Or don’t talk to anyone. And that’s ok.

Because I know how to pick myself up now.I know when to stop listening to my harsh voice.

I know when to find the good things.

And I think I now know how to love myself.


Thank you for reading and please let me know if you are trying to grow and love yourself - I really hope you will try :)

Comments

  1. You are beautiful! X

    http://thejourneyoflove215.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this so much! I'm my worst critic and I find self-love so hard.
    You are beautiful though and having bad days is OK

    Kate xx
    www.mummywho.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be so so hard! I hope you find it a lot easier, soon. Thank you so much and thank you for reading! xx

      Delete
  3. This is such a beautiful post and I think it captures the relationship most of us have with self-love. I often wonder why it does take us so long to reach the point where we can love ourselves with all of our mistakes and faults. Great food for thought. And the journey continues...we will continue to evolve and grow in self-love.

    #BlogCrush
    Shelbee
    www.shelbeeontheedge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading and for your lovely comment! It can be so difficult to deal with self-love and confidence but I hope it gets much easier, for all of us :) xx

      Delete
  4. #BlogCrush
    What a truthful and beautiful post! It's still a struggle for me, after 33 years of existence. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! I am so glad you liked it, it's definitely a struggle but I hope you've learnt to love yourself :)

      Delete
  5. This is a great post. I think I've only learnt this over the past couple of years, but I'm so much more content for it. As you say bad days will happen but if you know when to stop listening to your inner mean you can hang on in there so much easier.
    Congratulations!! Someone loved this post so much they added it to our #blogcrush linky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! :) I'm so glad you are happier now. Yes, we all have bad days for sure! It's just about trying to focus more on the good :) Ah, that's amazing! Thank you! :)

      Delete
  6. It's really a beautiful post.. Thank you for sharing it... And yes I'm still trying to love myself and enjoy life..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! And I really hope you succeed in doing that <3

      Delete
  7. Great post and something I can relate to very well. Life is too short to put yourself down and only makes you feel bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked this post. You are right - life is way too short to do that. xx

      Delete

Post a Comment